‘The Backyard in Bethnal Green… if there’s a better comedy club in the world, I don’t know where it is. It’s amazing.’ - Russell Howard
We are situated just a two minute walk away from Bethnal Green tube and overground stations at 231 Cambridge Heath road and have been a major hub of the nightlife and social scene in East London since we opened back in 1998, becoming one of the major comedy clubs in the capital with our esteemed reputation for great laughs and good value. Since reopening with our new venue and bar in 2013, we have expanded our horizons beyond stand-up comedy, and now also host many other nights such as variety shows, cabaret events, and all sorts of other charity events.
Our place has a vibrant, friendly atmosphere, so if you are at a loose end and fancy a drink, a nibble and some fun games, pop down for a visit. You don’t even have to watch the comedy if you just want to come and relax.
Many people will be familiar with the founder and owner of The Backyard, Lee Hurst, who came to fame in the 90s as a regular face on television on shows such as They Think It’s All Over. Lee still performs regularly all over the country and often makes appearances here with us.
Reasons to love us:
-We are London’s newest purpose-built comedy venue.
- We have amazing acoustics and shiny facilities.
- Our building is fully wheelchair accessible – all on one level, with wide doorways and zero obstructions for those who have difficulty moving around.
- We are just a two minute walk from Bethnal Green tube and Bethnal Green overground stations.
- There is lots of street parking around us.
- We have free wifi.
- We serve great homemade pizzas and tasty beverages to tickle yer gullet.
- We have a pool table for all you wannabe Hurricane Higginses.
- We have a ping pong table and fussball (that’s table football to you non-Germans).
- We have loads of board games for when it is raining, or if you just enjoy that sort of thing.
- We are fully air conditioned and sexy fresh!